The user in question was moved to another server on our network.  So, in
effect, yes, I was sending to the removed user on another server.

I have sent to the “moved” user from an outside address and it works as
expected.

I believe the issue is that when I send a test email, the moved user was on the
same server and therefore considered local.  Somehow, postfix still thinks the
user is on the old server even though I have removed all references to it that
I am aware of.

Only when I send through the server they used to be on does the message have
issues.

Jeff