On 19.08.22 10:47, Sam R wrote:
So I am a little divided,
On the one hand I think that port 25 is enough to transmit mails locally,

I guess by "locally" you mean "on the local network".

port 25 is standard for server-server communication, 465/587 are standard for client-server communication where authentication is required/enforced.

on the other hand I think that an encryption would be better, especially on
the dmz.

I'd say "especially for connections crossing not-secured network".
mails within LAN/DMZ should be safe unencrypted, unless you have reason not to trust the network or someone on it.

you still can use encryption on port 25 using the STARTTLS mechanizm.

There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture that
allows you to install Windows.   -- Matthew D. Fuller