I'd say "especially for connections crossing not-secured network".
mails within LAN/DMZ should be safe unencrypted, unless you have reason not to
trust the network or someone on it.

that's one choice.

some prefer to consider a Zero Trust policy

e.g., see

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_trust_security_model

&,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/business/zero-trust#office-ContentAreaHeadingTemplate-ig3jspu

        Zero Trust defined

        Instead of assuming everything behind the corporate firewall is safe,
the Zero Trust model assumes breach and verifies each request as though it
originates from an open network. Regardless of where the request originates or
what resource it accesses, Zero Trust teaches us to “never trust, always
verify.” Every access request is fully authenticated, authorized, and encrypted
before granting access. Microsegmentation and least privileged access
principles are applied to minimize lateral movement. Rich intelligence and
analytics are utilized to detect and respond to anomalies in real time.

for my own usage, every transit between services is SSL/TLS-wrapped -- local,
or not.

overkill?  that's another choice.