Please keep replies on list.

On 4/17/2023 2:16 PM, Tyler Montney wrote:
I'll put it this way, since I'm struggling to word this:

Provider A contains the following customers:
Acme Corporation (acme.com <http://acme.com>)
Corley Motors (corley.com <http://corley.com>)

Provider B contains the following customers:
ConSec (consec.com <http://consec.com>)
Teldar Paper (teldar.com <http://teldar.com>)

f...@acme.com can send to b...@corley.com without authentication.

You've explained what's observable, but not why it's a problem.
Any random server on the internet can send to b...@corley.com without authentication. The original sender may or may not authenticate to *their* mail server, corley.com cannot control that. So corley.com accepts unauthenticated mail all day long.
How is this different?

f...@acme.com must authenticate in order to send to f...@consec.com . Similarly, f...@consec.com must authenticate in order to send to b...@teldar.com .

Some providers require all to authenticate, without exception. This is generally considered good, but providers may use other methods to prevent abuse of their system.

I still don't see a problem. If someone has found a way to abuse this, then the abuse should be reported to the provider.

  -- Noel Jones