> It was common practice to allow your (from the ISP PoV) clients to submit
> mail via SMTP, through port 25 on your mailserver.  Some ISPs still do
this.
> The client authentication here is done via client IP address, no further
> checks.
>
> Next, enciphered and authenticated mail submission became common, where
> client can connect from the internet and submit mail, auithentication done
> via user/password (later using different ways).
>
> The alternative ports 465 and 587 are used here.  The authentication
should
> be mandatory on these ports, as well as encryption (on port 465
implicitly,
> before SMTP comes in, on port 587 using STARTTLS SMTP extension).
>
> Some providers started to require SMTP authentication for any mail
> submission long ago.
>
> Also, because port 25 is used for server-server communication, some
> providers started blocking their clients from connecting to port 25 of
> remote (or even local) hosts, preventing clients from sending spam this
way.

This is a good point. It seems odd they're presenting the functionality
they are
by using this port. In all other cases, it's 587.

> The sender address is completely unrelated to this, providers may or may
not
> verify, if the client is authorized to send mail from provided address,
e.g.
> compare login name to list of allowed sending addresses.
>
> Further, envelope (mail from:) and header From: senders may be two
different
> addresses (this question pops up here once in a while).
>
> From traditional point of view an open relay is mail server that allows
you
> to relay non-local mail without authentication - you connect, send mail,
> server will accept it and pass it to he recipient.
>
> The "local" in this case means any domain that is configured on server
> ("I handle this domain, so I accept mail for it").  Mail for such domain
may
> be delivered to local users (mail destination), or relay servers (mail
> gateway, backup MX servers) etc.
>
> SPF/DKIM/DMARC mechanism were designed for recipient of the mail, not for
> sending/relaying server.
>
> Yes, of course. I'm accidentally blurring the lines between these
discussions
> and my end goal. Although unlikely, I could make the decision SMTP is too
> insecure for my needs. (SMTP is supposed to function this way, but it
doesn't
> mean that it must be acceptable to me.)
>
> As others mentioned, this is very broad question.

Yes, that was intentional. It was to start a discussion, and to narrow it
as required.
If this mailing list isn't suitable, please point me to a better place (if
one is known).

> If you have mail server, nobody should stop you from sending mail to
anyone
> by connecting to recipients' SMTP servers, but nobody is required to
accept
> mail from you.

What I take from this is we want mail to get there rather than risk users
to lose
faith in the reliability of the system. If I have a problem with this
layout, I'd have
to argue elsewhere.

No one so far seems particularly surprised by my findings, and I mostly
expected
this. However, this has given me a few items to explore with the provider
that
I didn't have before.