On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 12:48:28PM -0400, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:

> I updated the inet_interfaces documentation anmd clarified its
> relationship with smtp_bind*_address and system-chosen source IP
> addresses.
>
>       Wietse
>
>    When smtp_bind_address and/or smtp_bind_address6 are not specified, the
>    inet_interfaces setting may constrain the source IP  address  for  out-
>    bound  connections over IPv4 and/or IPv6. Support for IPv6 is available
>    in Postfix version 2.2 and later.
>
>    o      When inet_interfaces specifies one IPv4 address, and that is not
>           a  loopback  address,  the  Postfix SMTP client uses that as the
>           source address for outbound IPv4 connections.

I would perhaps change "one IPv4 address" to "only one IPv4 address
(along with zero or more IPv6 addresses)", to make it crystal clear
that the IPv4 behaviour is independent of the presence or absence of
any IPv6 addresses on the list.  The parenthetical clause is perhaps
redundant if a careful reader would infer from "only one IPv4" that
this does not restrict the count of IPv6 addresses, while "specifies
one IPv4 address" could be read to mean also no IPv6 addresses.

Though perhaps this level of attention to phrasing is only applicable in
Talmud scholarship...

--
    Viktor.