On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 02:08:29PM +1200, Peter via Postfix-users wrote:

> On 5/05/23 11:33, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:
> > An empty inet_interfaces means that there is no constraint for the
> > SMTP client source IP address. I am adding some text for that.
>
> I think the question is, what effect does it have on the server
> listening address.  This is from inet_listen.c:
>
> /* .IP addr
> /*      The communication endpoint to listen on. The syntax is "host:port".
> /*      Host and port may be specified in symbolic form or numerically.
> /*      A null host field means listen on all network interfaces.
>
> So I would assume from that setting inet_interfaces to empty has the
> same effect as setting it to all (it will listen on all interfaces)?

No, it does not.  Rather, it leaves zero listener addresses enabled,
which only works if all "inet" services are disabled or all use explicit
IP endpoints:

    May 05 03:43:45 amnesiac postfix/postfix-script[2812173]: starting the
Postfix mail system
    May 05 03:43:45 amnesiac postfix/master[2812175]: fatal:
/etc/postfix/master.cf: line 12: no valid IP address found: smtp
    May 05 03:43:47 amnesiac postfix/postfix-script[2812176]: fatal: mail
system startup failed

This is rarely what you want.  I'd be inclined to require that the
"inet_interfaces" parameter be non-empty (though it could still be
effectively empty as a list by setting it to be a mixture of spaces and
at least one comma).

This is roughly what I expected, but did had not yet checked.

--
    Viktor.