Apart from /usr/sbin/postconf, I also found:-

        /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/postconf

Running the latter gives entirely different output from the former and
according to that, the changes to the main.cf I've made have been incorporated.
So I need to check the result of that, however I am still perplexed by this.

From where is postconf getting its information? Does it have a config directory
hard coded? Certainly it does not seem to follow the directory as applied to
the running master process. How can 2 different postconf executables produce
different results and which is correct?

I guess the postconf that states the config_directory to be the same as that
supplied by -c to the running master process could be considered to be the
correct one, but the whole relationship between postconf, master and
config_directory seems somewhat tenuous for something that is supposed to be
supplying the exact config information being used.

A symlink in the appropriate place should ensure I get the correct info from
now on.

Ken  G i l l e t t