Dnia 31.07.2023 o godz. 08:43:28 Fourhundred Thecat via Postfix-users pisze:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Maildir format on my server (Postfix + Dovecot).
>
> The individual filenames have this format:
>
>     1690633510.M94611123819.mail,S=11706,W=12202:2,S

This is how Dovecot names them. Files delivered directly by Postfix have a
bit different names, like

1690675359.10129_0.hostname:2,S

where "hostname" is the hostname of your mail server (same as "mail" in your
example).

> Now, I have another, unrelated email account (not my mail server), and I
> have set up Thunderbird with local Maildir support. When I look inside
> the folder, the emails have this nice and clear format:
>
> for received:
>
>   xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx...@sender.com.eml
>
> for sent:
>
>   xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx...@recipient.com.eml
>
> how could I have such nice filenames on my server, with useful
> information in the filename, instead of those ugly containing special
> characters like '=' and ':' ?
>
> Do the nioe filenames come from Thunderbird, or from the mailserver ?

Definitely they come from Thunderbird. When a mail client retrieves mail
from the server, it has no idea of how the mail files are actually named on
the server. It names them by its own.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa