Hello,

Those "ugly characters" are there for a reason: they are specified by the Maildir standard (and the Dovecot's extensions to it) to encode various metadata such as message ID, size, flags, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir
https://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/mailbox_formats/maildir/

Also, why the "filename esthetics" even matters? The maildir directory is not supposed to be viewed (let alone directly accessed or modified) by a user. Mail clients and Dovecot provide useful (as well as format-independent and universal) human-oriented interfaces and admin tools.

Best wishes,
Eugene