Peter via Postfix-users wrote in
 <5080e33a-0d10-d028-d59e-0481024e3...@pajamian.dhs.org>:
 |On 22/08/23 15:42, Bruce Dubbs via Postfix-users wrote:
 |> I have built postfix-3.8.1 from source and want to use it only on the
 |> local system. That is, I really only want it to receive messages from
 |> applications like sudo, cron, or some simple scripts using mailx and
 |> post it to the local user's mailbox.
 |
 |You've already over-complicated it.  For starters building from source,

For his explicitly stated use case i agree with you.

 |while admirable, is almost certainly not going to be required for the
 |simple use-case you have.  I would just install the postfix that your
 |distro packages for you, it may be an older version but nothing you are
 |doing requires the latest bleeding-edge version of postfix, or anything
 |near to it.
 |> bdubbs@pippin120$ mail -s test root
 |> smtp-server: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
 |This means that mailx has been reconfigured from it's default to attempt
 |to use either submission or smtp.  If you want to keep it simple then
 |you don't need to do this, just let mailx use the sendmail binary which
 |in postfix uses the postdrop command and mail gets picked up by the
 |pickup service, all of which are enabled and properly configured by \
 |default.

"But" postfix's sendmail reads the postfix configuration, it will
not work otherwise, at least once i tried last.
Going over SMTP (submission that is) can share a single postfix
instance in between many containers that do not have access to
the actual configuration, filesystem-wise.

Often i have wished postfix's sendmail(1) would work otherwise;
i also used dma (DragonFly Mail Agent) as is now used by default
on FreeBSD for that purpose (which was quite messy installation-
order wise), ie, simple sendmail that relays to real postfix.

Yes, a compile-time configuration option, and a postdrop that
listens via UNIX domain socket on a path that can be mounted into
containers, and a postfix sendmail that only works on that path,
that would be a nice thing container-wise, wouldn't it?
Just an idea...

--steffen