On 2023-08-23 at 05:22:21 UTC-0400 (Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:22:21 -0600)
IUL Support via Postfix-users <iul-supp...@iul.net>
is rumored to have said:

Hi All,

Have a legacy server that I've just taken over maintaining. It's set up
with postfix that handles a small handful of email users.  In looking
through the logfile I'll frequently see emails bouncing (and the bounce messages being deferred so they just sit in the queue wasting retries).

You should fix that. It is a dangerous practice to accept mail and then attempt to bounce it on a machine accepting mail from the Internet. This generates a "backscatter" of bounces to forged addresses, often with embedded spam and malware in the bounce messages.

The email will be from
some_spammy_text-myuser=mydomain....@notmydomain.com and addressed to
myu...@mydomain.com.

The LHS always seems to have the same basic format ie. the underscores and
the equal sign so it seems obvious that they're trying to accomplish
something specific. Is it supposed to help them get past spam filtering,
or get around some sort of bug?

It is called "variable envelope return path" or more often just VERP. It is a common practice used in modern mailing list management that sends each message with one recipient and a unique envelope sender to assure that any delayed bounces (which are sent to the envelope sender, a.k.a. 'return path') can be positively matched to a user, so that the user can be removed or suspended from a list if there are problems delivering to them that can be understood from the bounce as likely to be repaired. There are related variants on VERP that are used to encode an earlier return path into a new one on forwarded messages (SRS) and as a trick to give every message a unique return path and hence eliminate fake bounces (BATV.)

Can anyone enlighten me as to what they're trying to accomplish and if I should be doing anything configuration wise to block them from accomplishing
it??

Don't block based solely on VERP use. VERP is almost universally used in business-to-consumer bulk and transactional email, including messages which are very much wanted and valuable. SRS and BATV, which look very similar, are used to make other spam mitigation tactics possible.

Is it supposed to help them get past spam filtering, or get around
some sort of bug?

It's all about spam, like everything these days in email...

But it is NOT about getting around filters. It is about enabling rigorous bounce handling (GOOD!) so that bulk mail senders can avoid sending de facto spam and keep their lists clean. The similar-looking BATV and SRS are tactics developed to allow other anti-spam techniques to work with fewer errors.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire