Hi!

You said you didn’t change Postfix configuration. I’m pretty sure this is the issue. You configured the server to reject a connection not using TLS, so you need to tell the client to use it.

So what's the difference between a MAriaDB Client file and the various "tls_"
settings in the connection.cf file

I was thinking about the MariaDB `ssl` setting, that enable TLS without validating server certificate. That setting isn’t documented in the link you provided, so I guess it can only be set in a MariaDB option file.

This being said, I’m not even sure the Postfix support that setting, and it is inherently insecure. So as Viktor said, just set tls_CAfile or tls_CApath, which should implicitly enable TLS.

I don’t know Postfix working as well as Viktor, but:
 - you made TLS mandatory server side
 - you claimed you didn’t change client configuration
This cannot work.

Regards,

--
Étienne Miret