Uhhh, yeah, I came to the same conclusion myself.  I had been mad with
grief (snif) but have since decided that I can (a) take it in to be looked
at (I tried your suggestion but cabling did not seem loose); (b) live with
it or (c) think about a used iBook on ebay (tho' I'm loving the
expandability of the PBs).

Thanks for all your help,

Judy