>I'm needing to find the original set of emergency startup floppy
>disks for the powerbook 5300, including the system disks if there is
>such a creature. There's a virus on this powerbook I've bought so my
>plans of copying everything over to the new hard drive is quickly
>going by the wayside. Virex says many of the system components are
>infected.

You can download OS 7.5.3 from Apple and I believe you can then create
System floppies from the download.  This would be better than the original
System Software as that was IIRC 7.5.2 and was not entirely stable.

>I'd also like the clean install of the missing software that comes
>with the Global Village modem card, that doesn't seem to be anywhere
>on their website.

I'm not sure but the "updater" at the GV site might do a full install.

>So far I've been unable to get the computer to recognise an external
>CD drive so I suspect I'm missing some extensions. A clean re-install
>of software seems to be the better choice.

Have you tried booting from a non-machine specific System CD-ROM.  If you
are booting from the CD it doesn't matter what driver is on the harddisk as
the harddisk isn't mounted until Finder starts.

>Any clues on where I might find such creatures? Should a universal
>system disk have all the parts necessary for a powerbook to function
>or were there special system components that necessitate using only
>certain system disks?

There are two types of System CDs, machine specific versions that are only
good for the indicated machines and non-specific versions that will install
on any machine that can take that version of the OS.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA