>  >So far I've been unable to get the computer to recognise an external
>>CD drive so I suspect I'm missing some extensions. A clean re-install
>>of software seems to be the better choice.
>
>Have you tried booting from a non-machine specific System CD-ROM.  If you
>are booting from the CD it doesn't matter what driver is on the harddisk as
>the harddisk isn't mounted until Finder starts.

Finally just now I was able to get the powerbook to recognise the
external Apple CD drive. (A powerbook can not outsmart the powerbook
list!) After selecting Disk Warrior as the Startup Disk I restarted
and all is going well. I have a suspicion that the pre-existing nVIR
virus I found on it yesterday may have contributed to at least part
of the problem. It took me several hours today networked to the Quad
to run a scan and repair the virus in practically every part of the
system components. Good thing I'm sending it in for the REA and so
haven't done any personal work on it yet or networked it online.

Meantime I rebuilt the directory with Disk Warrior and have finished
optimising the hard drive. 67 percent fragmentation! No wonder it
lagged like an old dog.

So now that I have the external CD drive working, the next question
is about (still) the system software. I'm still hazy on which
components are absolutely necessary for powerbooks to work, and the
modem to function. When I first got my P465 years ago, I remember I
had a hard time upgrading because of system enablers and don't want
to run into a similar situation again.

The modem upgrade software appears to be the 'real thing' so I'm
going to cross my fingers that will answer any questions I have about
the modem.

Clark said:

>There are two types of System CDs, machine specific versions that are only
>good for the indicated machines and non-specific versions that will install
>on any machine that can take that version of the OS.

If I am able to _boot_ from a Mac OS CD, am I safe in assuming that I
can install that same system software that will have all the
necessary parts for the powerbook to work?

Please jog my memory again, because I know we've talked about it
before, but what is the best, ie fastest and most efficient, system
for the 5300? Right now there's 24 RAM xRAMDoubler and the hard drive
is 500MB with SoftPC taking up a small portion of real estate.

And I've made a Disk Tool floppy from my OS 8 CD, verified that it
works and am now ready to be a bit more daring with my new toy.

Wow... 3am. I tell people I have insomnia but I really just have Macs.