I know 9.1 is old news, but I finally availed myself of Other World
Computing's great OS offer (OS 9.1+9.2.1 updater + OS X 10.0.3 + 10.1.5
updater) for only $59!

Got 9.1 up and am quite pleased. It seems a little faster than 8.1 on this
PowerBook 3400/180 with 144 meg ram and most of the improvements are nice. I
especially like the command-tab task switcher (yes, like Windows) and nice
icons. IE 5.1 has finally stopped crashing (a constant problem on 8.1) and
windows open faster, fonts look better and cached images appear instantly
like they should instead of reloading every time.

I have yet to back everything up to make the jump to X, still trying to get
my recently acquired 4x CD burner to work, just won an older version of
Toast on eBay to try.

The one thing I miss is 'PPP Menu' (Easy one menu control of all your online
activities) - it doesn't work with 9.1. I dislike having to open the 'Remote
Access Status' Control Panel just to disconnect from the net.

On other things, with the introduction of new G4 PowerBooks possibly just
days away (the current rebate offers end on September 25, that's a good
sign....) The time when I can afford to pick up a good used 400MHz model for
under $1400 is getting closer....

--
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho USA
http://www.narrowgaugenews.net