On 2003-02-17 20:59, "Dan K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joost wrote:
>
>> Oh, I know those... They were (are?) used in several models of Tamiya R/C
>> 1:10 R/C cars. Cool stuff, that. The reason I asked is that I was under the
>> impression that the cells in the 500-series batteries weren't actually AA
>> size, but some oddball type.
>
> The originals are 4/5 A, the same length as AA but 17mm thick instead of AA's
> 14.5mm. Since the 9.6v pack (with 8 x 1.2v AA cells) I bought has a
> higher-than-original 2100mah rating the actual cell size is irrelevant as long
> as the lil' suckers fit into a PB500 battery case. The AAs being lighter than
> the originals is good, but even more important for me was their smaller size
> made the job of stuffing the replacements in a bit easier.

True... That's pretty good, actually. In my recollection, they were longer
than AA's as well.

> Don't like to hear them rattling around inside the battery case? Heck,
> isn't that what hot-melt glue is for?

Or packing foam? Indeed...

> Do ensure you buy an NiMH pack, as the same sort of thing is sold
> constituted of Nicads as well. Come to think of it, I've seen NiMH packs
> with even higher ratings, something like 2400 (maybe more!) sold as
> SUPER-DUPER R/C packs. How well those cells would work in a PB I can't
> say, such cells might be more suited to rapid-high-drain applications
> than slow-and-steady PB usage.

I thought that the type of battery has more to do with the preferred usage
than the AH-rating? There's a continuing quest going on on the NewtonTalk
list for the highest-rated NiMH AA's; the higher the rating, the longer the
battery life.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--