>The USB to serial adapters are just that. Serial only. They don't
>pass appletalk packets and never will.

Ok, just to pick nits, it's not the serial-USB adapter that doesn't
pass AppleTalk packets, it's that the packets never get to the
adapter!  The adapter shouldn't care whether the data passing through
it is formatted one way or another, so long as it's serial data.

The software these things use emulates a serial port on USB, fooling
other software into thinking that there is a real legacy serial port
on the bus.  Except that AppleTalk is too smart for that.

The catch here, is that Apple never wrote an AppleTalk architecture
for USB.  AppleTalk will never recognize USB as a valid connection
method, regardless of whether your adapter will pass the data or not.

>I don't think that even MacIP
>will work since that sorta bundles TCP/IP info into localtalk (sorta),
>and for sure the localtalk won't get across, but I might be wrong about
>that.

AFAIK, it doesn't just sorta bundle TCP/IP into AppleTalk (whatever
LocalTalk, EtherTalk, IRTalk, etc) packets, it actually DOES
encapsulate IP packets into AppleTalk traffic.  MacIP must run over
an active AppleTalk network - MacIP is not independent of AppleTalk.
Where AppleTalk doesn't go, MacIP doesn't go.  (Although, AppleTalk
can go places MacIP can't - like the serial ports under Mac OS 9.
MacIP is unsupported over LocalTalk on Mac OS 9.x. - annoying if you
are using IPNetRouter on a newer Mac to connect many older Macs;
grrr, my phonenet is AppleTalk only!)

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with
ClassicStumbler! <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/classicstumbler/>