> Has anyone tried to low level format flash storage media like a
> compact flash card or smart media?  I wonder what that would do...
>
> If I'm incorrect, obscure, or too vague anywhere above, I would
> appreciate clarification!!!
>
> Peace,
> Drew

Hello,

I've low-level formatted many IDE/ATA drives, most in desktops, but also in
my 1.3GB 1400. Never had any problems with it, in fact, in all cases the
machine ran a whole lot smoother after having it done.
I can understand what you say about ATA drives being 'dumb', but if that is
the case, surely drive setup would do the thinking for it? "write this here,
and that there" etc etc...?

As for the flash card, yep, I did that too. I low-level formatted a Sony
memory stick. The stick came out just fine, but I can't re-format it to PC,
which it needs to run in the camera. Doesn't matter, I have a bigger stick
in the camera anyway, but I warn anyone planning on trying this, your card
won't work afterwards in anything but your computer (I've heard similar
stories with other types of flash cards)

--
John