>Well, all I can say is that Apple has got it wrong. I can, and have,
>low-level formatted my hard drive. Then, when 'initialise' is
>selected, the program shows
>"Performing Low-Level-Format" for a while (time shown varies, depending on
>size of Hard Drive), then it goes on to zero-all data (if it's selected) and
>finally finishes off, naming the disk etc etc.

Well John, what is actually happening is that the utility is simply writing
Zero's to the drive. Although it "looks" like it's doing a LLF it's simply
not possible.

--
Aloha, Ken

"The man who has not given himself completely to the sun and wind
   and cold sting of the waves will never know the meanings of life."

                               -Annette Kellerman, Swimming Champion