Well, all I can say is that Apple has got it wrong. I can, and have,
low-level formatted my hard drive. Select the drive, initialisation options
shows LLF as a viable option (assuming selected disk is not start-up disk).
Then, clicking on initialise, there is a summary screen of what drive setup
is going to do, like partition options, and what type of formatting. Here,
again, LLF is shown. Then, when 'initialise' is selected, the program shows
"Performing Low-Level-Format" for a while (time shown varies, depending on
size of Hard Drive), then it goes on to zero-all data (if it's selected) and
finally finishes off, naming the disk etc etc.

>If you don't believe me that Drive Setup greys out the LLF option
>when an IDE drive is selected, then believe Apple:

Sorry, but I'll believe my own eyes, and they are quite certain of what they
are looking at. :-). I'm quite certain you can see very well too of course,
and that they ARE greyed out on your machines, but on the 60-or-so machines
that I have formatted in this way, it worked. And worked well.

You can think I'm some crack-pot that must have 3rd party drivers without
knowing it, or one who uses cracked versions of Drive setup or something if
you want to, but it is simply not true.

When you tried it, what did you start-up from? I used an old OS 8.5 CD on
the powerbook.

--
John