At 5:15 PM +0100 3/25/03, Kai Steinmann wrote:
>Now I'm thinking about replacing the screen by a newer one. Maybe even a
>color LCD. I've found one on the Web for - I think - $35. Which actually
>seems to be quite a good price. But it's a color LCD. Not that I wouldn't
>like a color LCD. But the question is: does the 540c color LCD also work in
>a normal b/w Powerbook 540? And does anyone have experiences in
>disassembling the 540 in order to replacing the LCD?

        They are all interchangeable, although the easiest way to do it is
to buy one in a complete lid, so it's a two screw change.  Make sure that
it's the 540c active matrix, rather than the 520c.
        You're better off with a service manual.  However, it's not vitally
necessary, and once you get the panel under the display off without
breaking off any of the three pairs of points holding it in, it's a piece
of cake.  Make sure you get the cable with the LCD, as they are specific to
each one AFAIK.
Paul