> I have a very strange problem with my Powerbook 540 b/w LCD Display: When I
> start up my Powerbook everything works fine. But after some minutes it
> starts to get more and more black at the borders. So when it's running for
> maybe more than 2 hours i have very ugly dark spots (about 1/2 inch or even
> more) at the edges. To get a blank screen again I have to shut power-down
> the notebook for at least half a day or more.
>
> Thanks,
> Kai

Kai,

Your problem is very common in older machines. It's usually caused by an aging
backlight; when they get old, they don't work as well
when warmed up. That's why turning it off and waiting helps.

The solution is to replace the backlight. I believe the 540 has two fluorescent tubes
(one on each side of the display), but my memory
might be faulty (the 540 might only use one, while the 540c might use two). In any
case, the tubes themselves are available fairly
cheaply from sources such as DigiKey. There's probably a better source there in
Germany (maybe Konrad?), so ask around.

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Center for Integrated Systems, CIS-205