I always thought the 1400 WAS the budget book of it's time, compared to the
3400...

The 1400 has a magnetic switch to prevent you from working with the screen
closed, and I doubt that it is possible to get around it. Well, unless you
do some kind of hardware surgery to the inner workings.

My guess it is a heat issue - the heat sink cools via the grid just below
the display (above the keyboard), and with the screen closed, the heat has
nowhere to go. (new PowerBooks have a heat outlet at the back of the machine
don't they?)

--
John