Hi, I'm new here and of course I have a problem. : /

I just bought a used Powerbook 540c with 20 megs RAM and a 320 meg HD.
Running System 7.5

I received the 540c today and it powered up just fine, nice bright screen, lots of cool programs to play with, etc...
I played around with it for about 45 minutes with no problems.
then I tried some floppys. The drive would try to load the disk and then just spit it out!.
I thought oh well at least the computer works and I can swap disk drives later.

After supper I tapped the power on button and the 540c starts to boot up then I get a black screen with a sad Mac and this code:
0000000F, 00000066.
It also made the "chimes of Death" sound. (four tones)

Now I know enough about Macs that if the hard drive is dead or missing, the computer will still start up to a folder with a question mark in it, meaning it can't find the OS.
I also know that some bad RAM can cause the "chimes of Death" as they are called.
I'm thinking "great, the computers dead".

I thought what the heck and put in a System 7.5 Utility floppy and the 540c starts up!
So I check the memory and all 30 megs are recognized.
I ran disk utility (verify and repair).
Everything else looked okay, so I restart and I get the sad Mac again.

I don't know what else to do.
At first the 540c worked but not the floppy, now the 540c boots from the floppy but not the hard drive.
If the hard drive was truly dead it wouldn't be accessible from starting up from the floppy, right?

I thought about just re-formatting the hard drive and starting over but it has some nice older software I'd like to keep.

I'm really disapointed too because I have heard this is one of the better of the older Powerbooks.

Now what should I do?
thanks for any help.

Bill Lockhart