> After supper I tapped the power on button and the 540c starts to boot
> up then I get a black screen with a sad Mac and this code:
> 0000000F, 00000066.
> It also made the "chimes of Death" sound. (four tones)

The same symptom hit me a while ago, also messing around with a 540 off
ebay. I was trying to install 7.1 off the original diskettes that came
with my original 520. After the black screen and the "explicative" code, I
could boot off the disk tool diskette but was misteriously unable to
install the system. To cure this, I had to wipe the disk clean and clone
the system from the 520. Everything is fine ever since.

To save the current contents of the HD before reformatting, you'd need
some SCSI connectivity. I don't know what equipment you have handy, so
I'll tell you what I've done, using an external SCSI HD, hoping you can
get the idea of what is needed:

I made myself on the 520 a custom disk tool including the drivers for the
external device, booted the 540 off this and extracted to external SCSI
the original HD content. Cloning of the 520 system was done using the same
technique.

cheers, gianfrancoo