thanks for the reply.
that's exactly what I ended up doing.

I found a cd of System 7.5 that had the disk images on it.
So I copied them to my good ol Mac Classic and then made 8 install floppies.
The 540c has been working fine ever since.

The only bad part of this whole thing was that I lost all of the extra programs.
It was mostly Office 6 which I personally don't use but the person I bought the 540c for might've liked to had it.
I also lost all of the drivers, etc for the internal modem.
oh well. At least the 540c is alive and working.