It actually has nothing to do with RAM or processor speed (Panther installs
fine with less than 128mb)...

It's because the motherboard itself is not supported.  It is a Nubus based
computer (as opposed to PCI like the PowerBook 2400 and up).  It has more in
common with earlier Macs such as the PowerMac x100 series, and the 68k
Quadras.  OS X is entirely completely 100% incompatible with these machines,
even with G3 or G4 upgrades.