Hi Dan;

I agree entirely with Michael when he says that this is really a matter
of opinion, and everyone should choose the application that's right for
them. I dip into Mail every time they bring out a major new version (ie.
I looked at it when Panther came out and I'll no doubt reassess it when
Tiger lopes into view) but it never quite cut it for me.

A couple of points in your message prompted me to reply, however, because
some of the problems that you are having seem to me like they might just
be a preferences issue, and you might want to just check out these points
before committing to the effort of switching between mail clients. Let me
elaborate:

Display speed:
I've never known PM to display messages or message lists at anything less
than lightning speed. Admittedly I'm on a G5, but even so it makes me
wonder if this is something more to do with your set up rather than a
problem intrinsic to PM itself. It's just text sifted from a database
after all, and shouldn't be slow to display.

Address book:
My copy of PM stays in sync with my Apple address book just fine. I have
them set so that PMAB updates itself from the Apple AB, but *not* the
other way around (ie. PM doesn't pass info back to the AAB). I had a
little trouble when I first set it up (both tried to sync with each
other, and since the PM address book was empty at that point it wiped out
half my Apple AB, hence my decision to use one as a 'master' and one as a
'slave').
If yours refuses to stay in synch then perhaps there is a corrupt
preference. Same goes for the not opening in AAB properly; my prefs are
set to open addresses in Apple AB, and if I double click an address in a
PM message it opens up in AAB as expected. If the address is in my PM
address book but not in the AAB (as some are, like this group for
example) then it opens up in PM's address book instead. If your address
books are not synching then perhaps this is the reason that things are
not opening up in the AAB?

Network absence:
You can get rid of the dialogue boxes by going to preferences >
Notifications and deselecting the 'Display Alert' checkbox under 'Error
notification'. I just have  a sound played when there is difficulty
accessing an email account, so there is no dialogue box to dismiss (IIRC,
those dialogue boxes would suspend other PM activity until dismissed,
which I always thought was rather odd, OS9-like behaviour).

Well, maybe this helps, maybe not. In the final analysis we all must use
whatever works best for us. As I said, I tried Mail; I actually wanted to
like it, and in many respects did, but its less than comprehensive
filtering capabilities sent me scurrying back to PM. That and PM's
awesome searching features.

Whichever way you decide to jump, Dan, I wish you the best of luck.
Cheerio;

Rick

--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.3.8  ::  PM 5.1  ::  3 pane mode