Spamsieve is now working beautifully.  Thanks for the ideas.  What made
it work?  One of these two things (done simultaneously so I can't say
which was the magic touch)

1.  I deleted the extra copy of SS that was downloaded with PM5
2.  Under Spam:Evaluate I changed the setting from "all conditions are
met" to "any condition is met".  The conditions are:

from/send is not in address
from/send is not in previous
to or cc does not use your

The action is 'evaluate spam rating'

Spam:Evaluate is my very first filter, followed by Spam:actions.  It
seems to be applying all the filters that come afterwards well (list
mail, add to address book, etc.)

Gunnar Madsen