hello:

I've been following this thread as I too am interested in "making the
apple say an apple." I often use characters from  "PopChar," but I've
also suspected these characters may not "translate."

Jerôme's response to use UTF-8 sounds like the answer especially as
messages will still be sent in ISO-8859-1 unless such characters are present.

Preferences shows two UTF-8 options: Unicode UTF  8 ,1.1 , and UTF 8, 2.0
. I assume the 2.0 option is the correct one, but would someone let me
know which as I plan to make this change.

I'm really pleased to have this info as I do use those special characters
fairly often.

>Thank you Wayne, and Jérôme for the great information.  I had given up on
>this, but now I have some options.
>
>Much appreciated.
>
>John Hay
>Quality is a result of intelligent effort.
>

>On Thursday, March 13, 2003 at 3:13 PM, PowerMail Engineering wrote:
>>John Hay wrote:
>>
>>>What's the secret to making the apple stay an apple, or is this now
>>>possible ?
>>
>>The secret is to send your messages in unicode: in the character sets
>>preference pane, chose the UTF-8 character set for the US / Western
>>europe language family. Note that the messages will still be sent in US-
>>ASCII or ISO 8859-1 when they don't contain unicode specific characters.
>>
>>???
>>

>>Jérôme - PowerMail Engineering

>>   "I have nothing but praises for PowerMail. It embodies the
>>    ideaology of the macintosh: simplicty = power."
>>  Xing Li, PowerMail user
>>
>>         Download a demo version from http://www.ctmdev.com

Judy Beiss