>One more thing.  If you manually reinstall everything, it is a really
>good chance to spring clean your environment.  Migration Assistant will
>copy apps which you haven't used for years :-)

This is true.  I've done it both ways.  The one semi-successful method
that Apple has is the Archive & Restore when reinstalling the OS from
DVD.  It will save everything from the Users folder on up, but apps that
operate primarily at the root level, like Retrospect, Norton or Stuffit,
need to be reinstalled from scratch.  In some thorny trouble-shooting
modes, I have intentionally worked from a clean slate and the original
install CD's or disk images.  It amounts to a weekend watching progress
bars, however.

I just did a G5 -> Mac Pro, and was absolutely blown away at how
seamless the process was.

Tony
--
Anthony R. Sanna