My more frequently used folders start with numbers. This puts them at
the top of the folders list and makes it easy to group folders together.

I use decimal numbers as PowerMail has a problem with integers (1, 10,
100, come before anything which starts with 2, anything starting with 2
before anything starting with 3, etc.)

For example, the folders immediately after In Tray and Out Tray look
like this:
    In Tray
    Out Tray
    0.11 Needs Action
    0.11.1 Follow Up
    0.11.2 Calendared
    0.12 Orders
    0.13 Travel

I have also used the variation of starting a folder name with "A". I
suspect there is also a hierarchy for characters like underscore, as EG
suggested.

Good luck.

- Winston