I just put a space or two in front of the name.  It seems simpler to
me.  I'd use numbers in front if they have special significance.  So I'd
have Winston's folder like this to get them where I want them (plus a
few thrown in for example):
In Tray
Out Tray
    Yamagata
    Yasuyo
   Needs Action
  Follow Up
 Calendared
 Orders
 Travel
Jack
Jones
Kato
Smith

With the font being proportional rather than equal width, the spaces
don't indent so visibly as I am seeing them do in this message.
And then I also use color to let my eye find key folders easily.

Regards,
Shell