mt (11/7/13, 13:54) said:

>1. How can I "Re-send" or "Send again" a message, in such a way that its
>Subject can be edited? (Any of you being familiar with messages held in
>a moderation queue by Mailman would recognise a typical scenario where
>this is required)

Display the message and edit the subject. PowerMail will ask if you want to
duplicate the message.

>2. In the Mail Filters window, is there a way to specify "contains word"
>as a condition? In other words, given that the drop down menu does not
>include this option, are there any special delimiters I can use to
>specify a "word-type" string?

Select "Body" and choose "Includes one of the words" or "includes at least one
of the words" or "includes the exact phrase"

>3. Can the database be any size, or does it have to be under 2 GB?

It has to be under 2 GB unfortunately. When you get near to that limit,
PowerMail will warn you and you can choose "Compact Database" from the File
menu. This will shrink the database to a more compact format, but you will have
to keep choosing this option on a regular basis. If you ignore PowerMail's
warning, you could end up corrupting your database and losing your mail.
Eventually you will have to delete some emails to avoid going over the limit. I
tend to free up space periodically by exporting email-list emails into Apple
Mail.

I have 250,000 emails in PowerMail, dating back over 10 years. If you have
fewer emails than this, the 2 GB limit might be less of an issue. Attachments
don't count towards the limit.

The monolithic database format is bad for backup programs. Either the entire
database will be backed up every time (which wastes space) or the backup
program (e.g. Time Machine) will have to compare it with previous backups in
order to save changes (which slows down the backup process).

What I personally wish is that PowerMail would save separate mail folders into
separate databases. But I don't think CTM has any interest in doing this. My
impression is that PowerMail is in maintenance mode - it gets bug fixes and
occasional minor features, but it's not going to gain any major features in
future.

I use Apple Mail on my home machine, and I would be fairly happy with that if
it was less buggy (sometimes it loses emails that it has sent or fails to
delete auto-saved drafts). PowerMail has faster searching and better filtering.
Apple Mail has smart folders, better support for HTML emails, inline display of
image attachments, and threading.

Jeremy