I'd just like to endorse the suggestion that you regard this study
as a pilot study.  Last year I did an experiment on code reading
(three programs presented in three different styles).  It turned
out that the dominant effects were

 - a number of students complaining that a 30-page manual for
   the programming language used in the task was an outrageous
   amount to ask them to read (they had _weeks_ to read it)

 - a large number of students who claimed to be unable to read
   code on paper, needing machine assistance with syntax
   colouring and searching (the programs were all a little
   under two pages long)

 - a number of students who claimed to be unable to read code
   without running test cases.

The skill I wanted to investigate ("desk checking") was, it turned
out, a skill most of the students did not possess at all.

You can expect your pilot study to surprise you.

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).