Keith Alexander wrote:
> I agree that the gentleman with the failing quad-core Dell running
> Prime95 most likely has cooling "issues."
>
> I've seen many CPU heatsink/fan solutions (including some bizarre
> liquid-cooling apparatuses), but is it just me, or has anyone else
> noticed that CASE manufacturers often seem concerned with getting air
> INTO the case from outside and not venting the hot air from inside the
> case OUT? A case fan grill covered in dust and lint after a few weeks
> (and a case interior full of the same) suggests to me that the fan is
> sucking air IN, and not OUT. I haven't had any severe cooling issues,
> but perhaps reversing your case fan somehow might address this. No need
> to do anything electrical, just change which side of the fan is facing
> "out." Thoughts, anyone?

I wouldn't do this on a dell desktop...   they typically use one large
high volume 120mm fan which is ducted to blow down onto the heatsink,
and runs variable speed based on cpu temps...    the excess air from
this blows out through vents all over the rest of the case, fairly
effectively.    about once a year, I open the case, remove the cpu
heatsink duct and vacuum the dust bunnies off the heatsink and anywhere
else they've accumulated, button it back up.

I stopped running prime95 on my office dell as it causes the cpu fan to
run on high all the time, is noisy, and heats my small office.