[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded. Tomorrow I'm going to look for a new fan to
> put at the back of the system. There doesn't seem to be much outward airflow
> right now, so that's what I'm going to tackle. If it doesn't work, then I may
> be stuck because I don't think I'm up to the job of applying a new heat sink.

It's not as bad as I made it out to be.... but you do need to be
careful.  Air bubbles or dead spaces with no coverage between the die
and the sink are Very Bad Things (tm).   My guess is that you need a
better cooler than INtel stock, which means applying a new heat sink.
Work with the guys at FrozenCPU.com.  They'll sell you what you need
(basically, Arctic Silver 5 paste and a decent heat sink).

If you carefully follow the instructions that come with both the heat
sink and that are on the Arctic Silver website for the application of
the paste (i.e. do *not* try to spread it around yourself!   Put down a
single thin stripe in the location and of the size recommended, and let
the pressure of the tightening down of the heat sink do the spreading),
you will be fine.

Jeff