Doing things to survive here while I complete my software product (I'm
not going to package/ship it until I'm satisfied it's done). One is that
I've begun to contact technical schools offering to come in as a guest
speaker on topics I'm familiar with, and the other is local consulting.

On the local consulting front, I've got a small restaurant who has four
interests, in order of priority:

1. Accounting
2. Security
3. Inventory
4. Database

For accounting, I'm inclined to keep it simple and recommend QuickBooks
(premier)
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/accounting_software/premier_edition
_financial_planning_tools.jhtml, (single user, $399) since I've used the
product myself and am familiar with it, including having written for
it's (half-baked) API. What I really don't like about Intuit is that
they regard any sale as a foot in the door for all kinds of other sales,
where I'm just looking (on my client's behalf) to make a single purchase
for a durable, lasting accounting system.

For security, he wants 4 cameras located around the establishment, the
most important of which being one over the cash register. I scanned the
list archives and see D-link mentioned, so I checked out their products,
and they look good on paper. I see a $349 model
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=295 and another for $899,
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DCS-6620  the primary difference
being video quality. He doesn't want to use wireless (I don't
necessarily agree, but I'll go along with what he wants). Both of these
cameras have wire (100mb Ethernet) connections. His only computer to
date is one at home, so he'll need a "server" running in the restaurant
to collect the video feeds. The software that comes with these systems
supports an IE browser interface and also recording the video on the
server's hd for going back into it. I've suggested, and he agrees, that
a weeks' worth of recording should suffice. I estimate 2 500gb drives
should be adequate for this purpose, and if he wants to back up the
drives he'll need to add a tape backup. I figure to advise him to
purchase a server and 1 $349 camera to start with, and if it meets his
needs to add 3 more. If he doesn't like the video quality then to move
the $349 model to a less important location and replace it with a $899
model (i.e. build it a piece at a time).

For inventory, I just don't think it will work for him. He's a small
business with a handful of workers (cooks, waitresses and bartenders)
and I really don't think he's going to allocate the time and effort it
will take to handle detail level inventory, i.e. it will just be a waste
of time and he'll wind up complaining it's not working. He does need to
track assets (QB), but things like canned food, etc., just wouldn't
work. Maybe if everything were uniformly barcoded, but that's not the
case. So, recommendation for inventory is to do what he's been doing:
periodically go around with a clipboard and a pencil. A boilerplate form
of standard items to use as a checklist will help, but that's about it.

For database (contacts, etc), I'll set him up as a beta tester for my
own product. Sans the USPS certifications, it will do what he wants.

Do this plan sound reasonable?

Bill