MB Software Solutions <> wrote:

> In a perfect world, yes, it's that great.  Interestingly enough, I
> pondered this when I had lunch at a restaurant recently as well:  if
> the customer changes his mind about an order, it's probably a real
> PITA for the server to "undo" things in the PDA/TabletPC unit,
> whereas with the good ol' pen/paper he can scratch things out so that
> when he goes to the terminal to enter the order, it's all entered
> correctly (regardless of the # of times a person changed their mind
> not to mention special orders).

Or they can just walk back to the kitchen and beg for mercy. :)  Been on
both sides of the line for that issue many times.  Why screw with
technology, when you probably need to go back there and get someone else's
food.

Food is low tech, why screw with it.  Are you going to implement a long lcd
screen on the line, that documents all seats and what they are getting for
this course?  Do you have to add an additional action to document what
course a food item will be served?  Take a person that orders an appetizer
for their main course that should come after their salad.

To implement a computer system in a kitchen takes a HUGE amount of design.
Just the idea of who will tally up all wrong meals per shift as well as
re-do items that are coming out of the kitchen a second time.

Inventory is volatile.  Take the worst case fresh seafood.  Inventory by
most people will look at reorder points.  But a kitchen manager wants to
know what SHOULD be pushed tonight because you have to much in inventory.
Turning to wine, beer, and the bar in general your looking for the reorder
capabilities.  You don't want to run out of Coors light for some reason I
can't figure out.  Bad Steve!

Stephen Russell
DBA / Operations Developer

Memphis TN 38115