> >Blue-skying this, I can imagine waitresses using wireless tablet pc's

> >to send orders to the kitchen and for billing, and I'll even mention
it
> >as a longer term growth possibility.  This guy is basically a good
chef
> >who opened his own restaurant, and not technically literate at all,
so
> >I need to be real careful not to make this a bigger deal then it
needs
> >to be.
> >

> In a perfect world, yes, it's that great.  Interestingly enough, I
> pondered this when I had lunch at a restaurant recently as
> well:  if the customer changes his mind about an order, it's probably
> real PITA for the server to "undo" things in the PDA/TabletPC unit,
whereas
> with the good ol' pen/paper he can scratch things out so that when he
> goes to the terminal to enter the order, it's all entered correctly
> (regardless of the # of times a person changed their mind not to
mention
> special orders).

Well, it's also possible that tablets will be built into tables at some
point, and diners will link up directly with the chefs (and maybe see a
video of how certain dishes are prepared, etc.) - which will really
change the role of the waitress. Just being a tad more futuristic, one
thing I did mention to this guy is that entertainment is a really big
wave, and perhaps the waitress of the future will, of necessity, take on
a more entertaining angle.

I'm being real cautious with this 'gig' since I don't know the
restaurant business from the inside out, and I don't want this guy so
enamored with the technology (and my cheerleading) that he forgets the
important lessons he's learned about his business. The 'undo' you
mention is a good  example of a business process that has to be worked
out.

Bill