Quoting Ed Leafe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 5:03 AM, paul brown wrote:
>
> > What do you think of the refereeing in general Ed? IMO, it has been
> > another
> > mixture of farce and comedy.
>
>       FIFA had been emphasizing a few things. First, there should be a
> consistent standard among all refs. That certainly hasn't been the
> case. Second, diving and other faking would be punished more
> strongly, since it is one of the main reasons for the problems in the
> game.

The diving and general cheating last night was amazing. There's no point in
having football Oscar's as Robben would take the lot!

>       In general, the officials have been amazingly good. Think about it:
> you have to watch 22 of the fittest athletes moving at high speed,
> and be able to see everything that happens.

Which is why I would like to see some sort of video help for the ref's. These
days we can quickly see every incident from every angle. In dead ball situations
the 4th official could use video to advise the ref what actually happened.

I don't see why there is no appeal process either - if the ref has made an error
then it should be recinded but with Captain Luddite in charge of FIFA, there's
little chance of either of these things happening.

>       I don't know how the TV coverage is elsewhere, but here in the US
> the commentators on ESPN are terrible.

The English ones at least know the laws but they're nowhere near as entertaining
as the Spanish guys! If a game is on the BBC we can choose between TV or radio
commentary and without a doubt, the radio guys are 100% better.

Paul