Kristyne McDaniel wrote:
<snip>
there is some basis for thinking that in hell there will be burning
torment.

I disagree. Some hold that the references to fire refer to the kind
of fire like in a trash dump or a cremation, which leaves nothing but
ash. I take exception to the idea of an eternal, non-consuming fire
of eternal torture. Whoever dreamed that concept up was trying to
scare people into doing what s/he wanted, IMO.

I simply don't believe in a doctrine that would hold that Gandhi is
going to burn in eternal torture because he was not a Christian, or
that Mother Teresa is going to burn eternally because she didn't
belong to Jerry Fallwell's church or some such thing. It makes no
sense to me.

Hi Kris!

We really don't know about these things. There is no need for us to
know, our egos would be satisfied if we did, though. As it is, it is all speculation.

That said, it is better to follow your conscience than your passions. I think we do know the difference between these. Neither Gandhi nor Mother Theresa lived passionate lives that I know of.

Regards,

Pete