On 8/6/06, Whil Hentzen (Pro*) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Several of you are running VMWare. I'm interested in which Linux distros
you're using for hosts and which Windows clients you're using as clients.

Had a couple hours free this afternoon, so I took a shot at installing
VMWare on Kubuntu and then Win2K on that. Went smooth as silk. I
followed the HOWTO here:

and it pretty much "Just Worked (tm)" I installed it on a scratch
partition on my current triple boot WinXPPro, Kubuntu, CentOS
ThinkPad, so I could only give it a small 3Gb VM space, but I'm
planning on retiring the current HDD and swapping in a new clean 80 Gb
one.

I picked W2k for three reasons: I needed an NT-level kernel for the
apps I support, I didn't need WinXP's CandyLand theme, and it was the
first bootable disk I came across <s>.

So, let's see... SP4 first, then Windows Update, then GriSoft for a
virus scanner, then FireFox, OpenOffice.org, PuTTY, WinSCP3... install
could take a while, but this is just the practice run.

Performance is acceptable, a shade shy of snappy, but sufficient for
the one app I have to run.
--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC