On 8/7/06, Whil Hentzen (Pro*) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I looked at a variety of Emperer machines and felt they were nastily
overpriced. Even that didn't totally bother me; what I didn't like was
support. It felt like you were tied to them pretty tightly, and for some
crazy reason, I thought that's why we didn't like proprietary software...

Well, they have all the custom drivers and tweaks to make all the
funky buttons work, but they supply you with the system and with
source code, so you can blaze your own trail from there.

They might have just been trying to reassure people that support was
available, but I couldn't figure out what would happen if I wanted to do
things my way.

Probably the same thing that usually happens <g>...

The $4200 box with FC ended up being $2400 from PC Connection. And $200

Yep, $4400 from Emperor, $4500 from Apple or do it myself for $2500
and... how long?

Ah, who needs suspend anyway? Or firewire? Or any of that stuff.

It's a tough call.

Although the CheapBytes CD DID set me back $5.

Big Spender! I figured you'd copy someone elses <g>

Now I'm off to pick up the SuSE 10.1 DVD for $40. I don't have a problem
paying for software.

Yep. Agreed.

--
Ted Roche