On 09/08/2011 11:30 a.m., Stephen Russell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Ed Leafe<e...@leafe.com>  wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Alan Bourke wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but you still can't cover the everything a person who isn't paying
>>> attention while, y'know, INSTALLING AN OS, might do. :)
>>         Well, of course you can't cover everything - I don't believe anyone
>> stated otherwise.
>>
>>         But this is a home user, not an IT professional. It is marketed to
>> non-technical people. The expectation should be that they shouldn't have to
>> "figure out" what to do; a good installer will guide them. And when they
>> make mistakes, they should be readily recoverable.
> ---------------
>
> What if it was set properly, did not need attention, and the user had
> to look at it.  Reminds me of seated at the restaurant table and the
> waiter presents the plate in front of you and says "Hot plate."  What
> percentage of "ID 10Ts"  need to touch it?

Now honestly... have you *never* ever touched it? I have. In a "proper"
restaurant the food should be hot but the plate should be tepid (and
waiters don't go around yelling "hot plate").
This old man actually made a mistake, but we all make mistakes. The
problem is that it became a major issue stopping him from using his
computer. My point is that I can find *NO* reason to apply keyboard
settings to user login passwords, and lots of reasons not to apply them.
As for the keyboard setting button in the upper left corner I have not
been able to check it yet.