On 2014-05-29 14:24, Alan Bourke wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2014, at 07:16 PM,
mbsoftwaresoluti...@mbsoftwaresolutions.com wrote:
On 2014-05-28 20:53, Paul McNett wrote:
> <snipped> I can't believe they are a successful company.

It proves how their marketing department and 800# gorilla stance has
made them successful.

So without the marketing department every business in the world would be a Linux shop? Providing software and operating systems that are in large
part reliable, interoperable and backwards compatible for many years
counts for nothing in the whole equation? Of course they're successful -
they operate like any other enormo-corp in terms of stance and
marketing, and in large part what they sell does what people want.

I was thinking about the early years when Excel beat out Lotus 1-2-3 even though the latter was deemed a better spreadsheet program by most iirc. Same with Powerpoint beating out Harvard Graphics and Word beating out WordPerfect. True, the other companies were out-maneuvered by largely by MS's marketing moves, imo. And don't forget about the DR DOS controversy that came to light in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft, specifically the AARD code: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code.

From that link: "The rationale for the AARD code came to light when internal memos were released during the United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 1999. Internal memos released by Microsoft revealed that the specific focus of these tests was DR-DOS.[10] At one point, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates sent a memo to a number of employees, reading "You never sent me a response on the question of what things an app would do that would make it run with MSDOS and not run with DR-DOS. Is there feature [sic] they have that might get in our way?"[11][9] Microsoft Senior Vice President Brad Silverberg later sent another memo, stating: "What the [user] is supposed to do is feel uncomfortable, and when he has bugs, suspect that the problem is DR-DOS and then go out to buy MS-DOS."[11][9]"

Back to my point though about marketing: being the first to market is huge, as we know, as long as you have staying power. Many users thought Excel wasn't as good, but since it was in the Office bundle, they had it and didn't want to go out and buy something else, even though that something else might be a little better. See my point about their marketing being largely responsible for their success (imo)?