There is a supermarket here that sells via internet. Users choose the merchandise from pictures and their descriptions and slowly create a purchase request. If for some reason the connection is lost, or they leave the computer for a while, the system shuts down. But you can log in again and recover your order as you left it originally. Then when you're finished you pay and they send you the goods.

I guess this is similar to what you describe here. It probably is a lot of custom work as you say and this one is relatively easy since it only involves one routine: making a purchase order to the supermarket. In an accounting system one would have to record the user's input from many screens, keep it in temporary tables and then restore it from there until the save button is pushed.

Doable, but costly in terms of programming work.