I've wanted to do this, but have never come up with a solution that
satisfies all the use cases my clients come up with: in the middle of a
long and complex data entry, they have to go do a lookup, take a phone
call, get dragged into a meeting: do I save a half-correct and incomplete
order? What if they haven't finished entry and it's not yet valid? Do I
discard their work, which might be hours? Do I save invalid data? The
"correct" solution is to save some sort of session information, flagged as
work-in-progress, but not committed to the database as a valid entry.
That's a lot of custom work.

I haven't found a solution to that yet.